AdventurousBooks

AdventurousBooks

From Babylon to Timbuktu: A History of the Ancient Black Races Including the Black Hebrews
El Hagahn, Rudolph R. Windsor
The Valley of the Dry Bones: The Conditions That Face Black People in America Today
Rudolphf R. Windsor
Play with Fire: Discovering Fierce Faith, Unquenchable Passion, and a Life-Giving God
Bianca Juarez Olthoff
Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting out of the Box
Arbinger Institute
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
Stephen R. Covey
The Emotionally Healthy Church, Expanded Edition: A Strategy for Discipleship That Actually Changes Lives
Peter Scazzero, Warren Bird
This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
John Brockman
The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses
Eric Ries
I Got My Dream Job and So Can You: 7 Steps to Creating Your Ideal Career After College
Pete Leibman
The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING; Or, Why I'm Never Getting All That Glitter Off of the Dog
Jen Lancaster

What My Mother Doesn't Know

What My Mother Doesn't Know - Sonya Sones Sophie is a 14 year old girl who is falling in love at the rate of a normal teenage girl which is about as fast as a caterpillar turns into a butterfly. While in her cocoon she experiences an unabashed realization that love is more than looks & popularity. Sophie is falling in love with the idea of love amidst the destruction of her parents’ marriage.

Sophie’s mother is suffering from depression & her absentee father adds fuel to the fire Sophie still wants love. Whilst watching the carnage she maintains hope. Even to the extent of falling in love outside of societal norms with the social pariah of her school on winter break.

While Sophie had to stay home for winter break her two 3rd grade best friends Rachel & Grace are away. So when Sophie starts mentioning she met someone she has to hide his identity. Murphy is not the kind of guy you fall for by any standards including Sophie’s. She admits as much while day dreaming.

“He is homely, so downright ugly that none of the girls even think about him. He’s too lowly, too pitiful to even bother making fun of.” (pg. 15)

I do like that Sonya Sones weaves the story so that Sophie isn’t seeking a relationship because of the lack of emotion in her home. She doesn’t need the love to validate her insecurities. Sophie wants what we all search for in love, the love of being understood by another human.